Friday, December 12, 2008

Death over life, Moloch alive and well.

I was on my into school today and picked up a copy of the Daily Iowan. On the front page was a big picture of the Emma Goldman Center. This obviously perked my interest. For those of you who don't know what this place is, I'll fill you in. The Emma Goldman Center is local abortion clinic. Now that may not be totally fair, but its about the same as calling McDonald's a hamburger joint. Not everyone that goes to McDonald's gets a burger. I mean you could get chicken, an ice cream cone, or just a drink. But, the fact remains that they specialize in burgers. Just like I'm sure the Emma Goldman Center does other things than preform abortions, but everyone knows what they specialize in.
So needless to say the picture grabbed my attention. The headline was below the fold so I didn't know right away what the story was about. As thoughts of what this story would contain raced through my head, I was surprised to find out that the story was highlighting the lack of OB/GYNs in the state. The article is fairly well written and makes valid points about Iowa's lack of specialized health care for women, but my question was what does that have to do with an abortion clinic.
The only answer I can come up with is that this writer must equate, or at least not distinguish between, an OB/GYN and someone who routinely preforms abortions. I do not know this writer at all and so far I have not contacted her, but this legitimate story illustrates how callused our society has come to the slaughter of our unborn. A good story is accented with a picture of an abortion clinic. I in no way intend to start another round of the abortion debate. I only hope to show how we as a society have become so morally corrupt and may not even realize it.
Any other number of pictures could have been used. You have a truly great hospital less than a mile away and someone couldn't walk over and get a picture of a woman getting an ultrasound? How about a new born baby? A room full of women waiting to see their doctor? No, we write about women's health so it has to be an abortion clinic. Death over life.
I don't think the writer was trying to make any kind of statement. Maybe she was, but it does bring to light a mindset that this generation has. I actually hope the writer wants to push an agenda, because then it would be one writer's opinion and it would be easy for me to dismiss. If the picture was not intentional, then no connection was even considered. That is scary and today is truly a sad day.

The story.
http://media.www.dailyiowan.com/media/storage/paper599/news/2008/12/12/Metro/Iowa-Lacking.In.Obgyns-3578711.shtml

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thought provoking post. It seems that the "callousing" of a society's moral values goes in cycles. It seems like it takes something major to happen for people to jump on board a campaign for morality by the "moral right".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought when I read this article earlier today...What does the Emma Goldman clinic have to do with the lack of OB/Gyn's per capita? Interviewing a spokesperson from the Emma Goldman Clinic seemed really irrelevant to the issue. Then it occurred to me, to them it IS relevant.It is sad. Really , really, sad. And so very backwards. The point of the article how ever pertinent was totally missed by me b/c of the backwards culture of death view....

    ReplyDelete