Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Are iPods Evil?

Now I am not one to say that all technology is bad. I tend to believe that no object is inherently evil, its all in how one uses it. Guns are not evil, cars are not evil, the Internet is not evil, but they can all be used for evil. My point is this, iPods can be evil too, but not for the reason that you may think I would think this. I guess maybe I was born about 80 years too late. What ever happened to people talking to each other? What ever happened to getting to know the people around you. I mean people are so focused on themselves. I see people in the grocery store with their stupid iPod in. How are we as Christians supposed to witness and be a light to those around us if all we want to do is put our ear plugs in and tune the rest of the world out. Don't try and tell me that your listening to the Bible or some preaching, even if that is true, do it in the car. Maybe try the crazy notion of reading the Bible.

Now before I sound all hypocritical, I do own an iPod. I even got a great gift certificate for Christmas to get some of my favorite songs, but hopefully I wont be one of those people who walks around all day long with my earwax collectors in. I don't know, maybe it just bugs me for no rational reason what so ever so I have to find some feel good Christian reason to wine about it. But, seriously everyone seems to long for the good old days. Even though the good old days where not that great, but at least you knew some of the people around you. Some would say, "Well now we have things like Facebook to keep in touch with people."

Seriously? I have 90 some friends on Facebook and I haven't had a conversation with 85 of them in over five years. They aren't friends, their people you know. It just proves my point, we tell ourselves we are these social animals and everyone loves us, but in reality we post how we are doing that day and may two people actually give a rip.

A lot like this little idea. There are realistically two people who will even read this, but oh well. It makes me feel better. Some people go to therapy, I do this.

So here is my challenge for the new year. Take out the ear buds, put down the news paper, and ask the person next to you how they are today. Here's an even greater idea. Try actually meaning it, they can tell. You never know who you're with unless you ask.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent, thought provoking post. It was good seeing you last Friday night. I like your challenge for the new year. I admit, it's a lot more comfortable to not engage the stranger in meaningful conversation. But what is at the bottom of that attitude...pride. I want God to purge me of that pride!

    ReplyDelete